Getting to Know David Appel: AWS Vice President of National Security
David Appel currently serves as the Vice President of National Security at Amazon Web Services. He is a renowned industry veteran with nearly three decades of experience in the defense sector for the federal government and commercial customers. Here’s an overview of David Appel, AWS Vice President of National Security.
Who is David Appel?
David Appel has assumed his current position as the Vice President of National Security at Amazon Web Services (AWS) since June 2022. He has a broad scope of experience working with government leaders to offer modern software tools, AI, and machine learning services.
Appel has a comprehensive educational background consisting of the following:
- BS Accounting from Penn State University (1988-1992)
- MBA in Logistics and Operations Management from The George Washington University School of Business (1993-1998)
- Certificate in Advanced Management Program and Chief Information Officer from National Defense University – Information Resources Management College (2003)
- Certificate in Senior Executive Fellows – Executive Education from Harvard Kennedy School (2012)
What are the responsibilities of David Appel as AWS’ Vice President of National Security?
As the Vice President at AWS, David Appel leads the national security team responsible for operations with federal agencies and military leaders. He handles different government workloads for AWS machine learning services, cloud technology, the internet of things (IoT), and other advanced technologies.
Aside from leading AWS’ national security activities, Appel is also named as one of the board of directors for the Intelligence and National Security Alliance (INSA) to serve a three-year term beginning in January 2023.
The Intelligence and National Security Alliance (INSA) is a non-profit organization that drives public-private partnerships for intelligence and national security efforts and priorities.
What are the previous roles of David Appel?
Appel has built his career for over 26 years with Raytheon Company and later on with Raytheon Technologies following the merger with United Technologies. He built an extensive portfolio with increasing responsibilities in the executive leadership team.
Here’s a list of Appel’s previous work experiences under Raytheon Company.
- Functional Specialist and Manager (1994-2000)
- Program Manager (2000-2004)
- Staff Executive (2004-2006)
- Director of the U.K. Government and Defence Training (2006-2011)
- Senior Director of Operations, Training, and Logistics (2011-2012)
- Senior Director of Surveillance, Range, and Infrastructure Solutions (2012-2013)
- Senior Director of Mission Support Solutions for Defense (2013-2014)
- Senior Director of Mission Support Solutions for Defense and Federal (2014)
- Senior Director of Mission Support and Modernization for Global Mission Operations (2014-2016)
- Senior Director of Mission Support and Modernization for Mission Systems (2017-2019)
- Vice President of C2 (Command and Control) Digital Solutions (2019-2020)
Under Raytheon Intelligence and Space, he worked as Vice President for over two years, leading a $900-million business responsible for the development, operations, sustainment, and modernization of C2, Weather and Ground Systems, DevSecOps, and cyber programs.
He is an Ex Officio Member at the Virginia Tech Hume Center for National Security and Technology.
What are the awards of David Appel?
Building nearly three decades of experience, David Appel has won several awards under his name. Some awards he received for his leadership role at Raytheon Company include:
- 2008 Program Leadership Award
- 2015 Leadership Award for Competitive Advantage
Appel is also a graduate of Raytheon Technologies’ Advanced Program Leadership and Executive Leadership Summit, further strengthening his executive leadership portfolio.
About Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a cloud computing platform designed to securely and quickly host applications on existing or new SaaS-based applications. AWS is a preferred cloud services provider for individuals, companies, and governments due to its low-cost, metered, pay-as-you-go basis offer.
As one of the largest, most secure, and most functional cloud applications, AWS offers a wide range of products to allow more comprehensive computing.
Some of the featured AWS products include Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon EC2, Amazon Aurora, Amazon Lightsail, and Amazon DynamoDB.