Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
U.S. Department of the Air Force
James “Aaron” Bishop, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) for the Department of the Air Force, comprised of the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Space Force. As CISO, he is responsible for advising the Chief Information Officer and senior officials on cybersecurity policy, cybersecurity programs and cyber force development in the department. He leads a Directorate comprised of military, civilian and contractor personnel responsible for developing cybersecurity policy and strategy for over 5,000 Air Force information technology systems. He oversees risk management and cybersecurity accountability for information systems, weapon systems and operational technology supporting military cyberspace operations. His portfolio includes policy and governance of the defense industrial base, cyber supply chain risk management, compliance and cybersecurity capabilities. He has oversight for the Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act laws and cryptographic modernization supporting cyber operations for the department.
Mr. Bishop recently joined the Department of the Air Force to drive cybersecurity innovation. He is a highly experienced National Security Services and Information Security Executive with in-depth knowledge of government contracting, business execution, national security, military supply chain, criminal investigation and cybersecurity. As the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Eigenspace and Quantum Security Alliance, Mr. Bishop evangelized disruptive and transformational research and approaches to the cyber industry while building coalitions with academia, industry partners and U.S. government agencies. As an industry expert, he was nominated to the Presidential National Quantum Initiative Advisory Committee.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Bishop held positions in industry as a key leader with the Science Applications International Corporation as Vice President of Enterprise Business Transformation and Chief Architect, and later, the Chief Information Security Officer. Prior to SAIC, Mr. Bishop was the General Manager of Microsoft Corporation’s National Security Group. He was responsible for providing consultation and support services to National Intelligence, Military Intelligence, U.S. Special Operations, the Department of Justice, Department of Energy and the Department of Homeland Security. Prior to Microsoft, Mr. Bishop was the Chief Technologist at Keane Federal Systems and Chief Technology Officer of ANSTEC, Inc. Mr. Bishop is a veteran having served honorably in the United States Navy.
Mr. Bishop earned a Bachelor of Science in General Studies from Northwestern State University and a Master of Science in Cybersecurity in Management and Policy from the University of Maryland Global Campus.
2002 Bachelor of Science, General Studies, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, La.
2020 Master of Science, Cybersecurity in Management and Policy, University of Maryland Global Campus, Adelphi
1. May 1997–May 1999, Chief Technology Officer, ANSTEC Inc., Tysons Corner, Va.
2. December 1999–June 2002, Information Technology Director and Chief Technologist, Keane Federal Systems, Inc., Tysons Corner, Va.
3. June 2002–May 2013, General Manager, National Security Group, Microsoft Corporation, Reston, Va.
4. August 2013–October 2015, Vice President, Enterprise Business Transformation and Chief Architect, Science Applications International Corporation, Reston, Va.
5. October 2015–December 2017, Vice President, Chief Information Security Officer, Science Applications International Corporation, Reston, Va.
6. December 2017– November 2021, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Eigenspace, Gaithersburg, Md.
7. November 2018–November 2021, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Quantum Security Alliance, Gaithersburg, Md.
8. November 2021–present, Chief Information Security Officer, Headquarters, Department of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND HONORS
Navy Commendation Medal
Top Cyber News-2021 Top 50 Who’s Who in Cybersecurity
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Lifetime member of American Legion
Lifetime member of Disabled American Veterans Association
Lifetime member of National Eagle Scout Association
Volunteer for Boy Scouts of America
Carnegie Mellon SEI, Certified Enterprise Architect
McAfee Institute Board Certified
Professional Criminal Investigator
Social Media Intelligence Expert
Cyber Threat Forensic Investigator
Expert in Cyber Investigations
Cyber Intelligence Investigator
Certified Executive Leader
McAfee Institute Certified Trainer