Meet John Steckel, Vice President of Corporate Development at AMERICAN SYSTEMS
John Steckel demonstrates his prowess as an executive leader providing strategic solutions to the federal government and private enterprise clients. He was instrumental in enabling team harmony, inspiring success, and delivering efficient solutions for multiple clients.
Learn more about John Steckel, his professional background, and his road to becoming the Vice President of Corporate Development at AMERICAN SYSTEMS.
Who is John Steckel?
John Steckel is the Vice President of AMERICAN SYSTEMS’s Corporate Development business segment. He has over 20 years of experience providing defense, financial, and information technology solutions to clients from various industries.
In his earlier careers, Steckel was deemed an effective leader dedicated to promoting team harmony and individual and talent growth among his team members. He has a proven track record of integrating valuable skills in marketing, sales, strategy, and program and financial management — all of which are necessary for providing meaningful customer relationships, as well as positioning these companies as key players in their respective fields.
John Steckel graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1984 with a bachelor’s degree in history. He received his MBA in 1992 from the UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School.
What are his responsibilities as Vice President of Corporate Development?
John Steckel became the Vice President of Corporate Development at AMERICAN SYSTEMS in April 2022. He leverages his decades of experience in strategy development, financial management, program management, and enterprise area leadership to oversee the following business segments: business development, legislative affairs, and acquisitions and mergers.
Leadership and Expertise Background
Before joining AMERICAN SYSTEMS in 2018, John Steckel assumed leadership roles in other noteworthy companies specializing in defense, intelligence, and IT solutions. Listed below are Steckel’s previous leadership positions:
- Senior Vice President of Business Development at Vencore Inc., from August 2016 to June 2018
- Vice President of Business Development at Raytheon Technologies, from August 2014 to August 2016
- Vice President of Strategic Growth at Raytheon Technologies, from September 2012 to August 2014
- Vice President of Business Development at Raytheon Technical Services, from October 2010 to September 2012
- Director of Business Development – Electronic Solutions Line of Business at BAE Systems, from May 2009 to October 2010
- Vice President of Business Development – Armament Systems Line of Business at BAE Systems, from October 2007 to May 2009
- Director of Business Development – Armament Systems Line of Business at BAE Systems, from 2002 to 2007
- Director of State Programs at Imagitas, from 1999 to 2002
- Marketing Specialist at FedEx, from 1993 to 1997
Earlier in his career, John Steckel served three terms as Naval Flight Officer (NFO) in the US Navy. He served for the maritime patrol aircraft at commands and locations internationally.
About AMERICAN SYSTEMS
Official AMERICAN SYSTEMS Logo
AMERICAN SYSTEMS is an employee-owned national government contractor offering IT and engineering solutions to solve complex federal programs. For the government sector, the company specializes in defense, intelligence, healthcare, US outreach, and nationwide law enforcement capabilities.
AMERICAN SYSTEMS also offers strategic solutions for training, enterprise IT, engineering and analysis, testing and evaluation, and acquisition and life support operations for private and semi-federal divisions.
Since 1975, AMERICAN SYSTEMS has been an advocate of employee synergy and customer satisfaction. In 2021, the company ranked in Forbes’ “America’s Best Employers and Energage’s Top Workplaces USA lists. AMERICAN SYSTEMS is also a nine-time winner of the Northern Virginia Family Service “Companies As Responsive Employers” (CARE), an accolade it has won consecutively from 2011 to 2019.